I love winter squash of all types, including spaghetti squash, because its texture holds sauce well. This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes, so it is perfect for weeknights. We used kale because we had some that needed to be eaten up; other additions that would work well here include mushrooms and onion. We hope you enjoy this weeknight-friendly recipe that is full of flavor!
–Leah and Jeff
- 1 spaghetti squash, seeds removed and cut into large pieces
- 16 oz of tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 lb of ground turkey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of kale, washed, de-ribbed, and torn into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water with a steamer basket to a bowl. Place the cut squash in the steamer basket and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add oil, turkey, and garlic. Cook until turkey is no longer pink, breaking the turkey into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the sauce and kale to the turkey, cover until the kale is just wilted, about 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drain squash. Use two forks to remove the squash from the skin. Top with turkey sauce and parmesan, as desired. Enjoy!